Monday, May 31, 2010

Run For Water 5k Race Report

I don’t really do a lot of races. Really I find it to cost alot of money and it is money that I just can’t justify spending all the time. But after this past weekend I may need to reevaluate that! I had a blast running the Run for Water 5k.

Friday night I took it easy. We ended up getting a pizza because neither of us felt like cooking (I had killer cramps on Friday). We split it into 2/3rds for hubby, 1/3 for me. On my third I got mushrooms, black olives and grilled zucchini (boy was it yummy!).

Hit the sack at 11pm and had a great night sleep!

Was up and at em at 7am. Ate 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter and a coffee. Visited the bathroom more than once (I wish my stomach didn’t get soo anxious on race days). Left the house at 8 :10, got to the race site at 8 :35, picked up my race kit, hit the loo, put my stuff in the car and headed to the start line. The race was supposed to start right at 9am but started at 9 :05. Which means I timed it almost perfectly! I don’t like hanging around the start. With my tummy being a very anxious one it is always best to limit the time waiting around!

I think I may have started too close to the front (tough to gage where I was to put myself since it was a small race) so when it started I had to fight with myself to not run with the crowd – it was very hard to do I have to say! It was my first race wearing my Garmin and I loved wearing it b/c it allowed me to keep better track of my pacing. My plan was to run between 6-6 :30min/km and during the last km to run below 6min/km. I did a great job of sticking to my goal the first 4km but unfortunately the last km was all uphill so didn’t do as well as I had hoped! The route was amazing though. A little hilly (which I don’t train on so tested me), all on country roads so it was just beautiful. One aid station at the 2km mark (just grabbed water to throw on my head since it was hot already!). I meant to change my Garmin to tracking laps by km instead of mile so I don’t have my km splits. But here are my mile splits :

Mile 1 : 10 :24
Mile 2 : 10 :16
Mile 3 : 10 :21
Last bit : 1 :21

5.06km in 32 :22

8 seconds below my goal of 32 :30!!

After I watched some of the racers coming in. Grabbed ½ croissant, 1 muffin, fruit cup, yogurt for the car ride home (ate the fruit and croissant).

Rode home, showered and enjoyed some breakfast made my the hubby! Eggs with laughing cow, 1 hash brown. It was just what I needed.

The rest of the day was spent looking for a dress for the wedding we have this weekend (no luck) and then watching some movies – Up and Post Grad.

Sunday I got up and just lazed around all morning finishing up a book. Ran some errands, did some gardening, grilled up some dinner and watched a movie.

It has been a great Monday so far, and the start to a wonderful week full of exercise and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment