Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Right Way to Start a Day

Yesterday was a pretty stellar day I have to say. I love when the sun is shining bright in the morning, it makes getting up just so easy! I got up a little earlier than normal to get hubby out the door earlier. Made myself a semi oatmeal pancake (1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 egg white, 1 T peanut butter, ½ mashed banana). Egg whites from an egg do not work as well as Egg Whites from a carton which is why I added some PB. Topped with maple syrup (may have gone a little pour happy!) and it was tres yummy. Since I had an hour to eat and have coffee before I had to get ready and since I was resting up from the weekend I decided to watch an episode of True Blood. I think I may do this more often on a Monday b/c what a way to start the first day of the week. I came into work so relaxed!

Hubby was working late so I decided to “work out” on the Wii a bit when I got home. Did some tennis and boxing on Wii Sports. Then played my fave Snowball fight (5 games!) and a bunch of other games for a total 30 minutes on it. I wore my heart rate monitor for it b/c I was curious if I get any bit of workout from it! My resting (when I put the monitor on) is 40-45, and the highest it got was just over 80, so not a real workout, which is why if I’m just playing games I don’t count myself as earning APs. I don’t think my normal resting is that low, I meant to check this morning but I forgot.

Was really hungry last night so my planned half a tuna sandwich turned into a full tuna sandwich for a snack – and it left me feeling satisfied. So I know it was the right decision, even if it was more than I would normally eat for a bed time snack.

This morning started out in the pool for an amazing workout:

200m warm up
2x50m breath right, breath left (since I like to normally breath on both sides)

Main Set:
4x100m leave on 2:50
2x100 leave on 2:45
2x100 leave on 2:40
100 in 2:30 (set the timer and made it back just as it went off)

200m cool down

1400m in 40 minutes.

I love the “leave on” workouts, it really forces me to push myself, plus I don’t have to time every 100m which annoys me. I think next week I’ll do the same workout but shave 5s off each (2:45, 2:40,2:35).

And tonight I meeting up with a friend who is back from a year abroad to go for a run!!

Yesterday I ate:

B: oatmeal pancake with maple syrup – 7
S: 1 cup cucumbers, ½ banana – 1
L: leftovers (bbq chicken thighsx2, ½ cup mashed pot, 1 cup grilled veggies) – 7
S: apple, ½ granola bar – 3
D: baked breaded fish, squash hash (recipe below), zucchini – 6
S: full tuna sandwhich – 5

Total: 29 (7 points over – only Weekly Allowance Points used so far!)

I had some frozen squash cubes in the freezer that I wanted to use up, but I wanted some hash browns to go with my breakfast today since it is a double workout day so I came up with this little diddy. I think for future I would use half squash and half potato since it was a little sweet (too sweet for the hubby for sure).

Recipe – Squash Hash

4 cups butternut squash cubes.
½ onion
½ red pepper
Seasoning of choice
Olive oil

I heated up a pan, put in a tsp of olive oil, sautéed the onions then the peppers. While doing that I had thrown the frozen cubes into the oven to defrost and heat up a bit since I had the oven on anyways. They were in the oven for about 10minutes. Then added them to the onions and peppers. Tossed them in some Cajun, cayenne and garlic plus seasonings. Cooked for 20 minutes more. Then served!

They were delicious last night and they were delicious with my breakfast sandwich this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment