So I’ve just found out that most likely the contract I’m on will not be extended past it July 1st end date. A few weeks ago it was certain to be extended until the end of the year, last week it looked like end of September, but now neither is looking positive. I’ll find out for sure it the next few weeks but the writing is on the wall – the chance to work permanently here is pretty much out of the picture. I think it would take someone leaving and I don’t think that is going to happen. So back to the drawing board, back to looking for jobs.
It is just so frustrating b/c I’m such a cradle to grave type of person and unfortunately in our society that just doesn’t work. It frustrates me that every few years I’ll at least I’ll have to be concerned about job security. Lately I’ve just been wanting to go back to that high school mentality – the world was my oyster and I was such an idealist. That I would have to say is the worst thing about growing up – reality. It was always sort of hidden away in high school but once you are an adult and in the real world you can’t help but lose a little bit of that idealistic thinking. I love my job here and it is sad to have to leave. I get so invested in everything which makes it even harder – I’m more invested then some of my coworkers who have been here for years, which makes it harder still.
But I need to remain positive. I landed on my feet after getting laid off last March – and I think I ended up in a place that was way better for me (despite the economy) and I did it within my goal of 6 weeks! I have 8 weeks to find a job. And if I don’t find what I’m looking for by the time my contract ends well it won’t be the end of the world. We can survive on the hubby’s pay. We set it up so that our housing and bills are covered by his pay. My pay goes to vacations and savings so we’ll just be losing out on that. So we can survive. I’m hoping that he is okay if I still remain picky – I’ve had a taste of hating my job and loving my job and I really like me better when I love my job (duh!) so I don’t want to take something out of fear. He is more afraid of not having a pay cheque so I hope that he is understanding of my wants.
And who knows maybe I’ll even change careers? I’m going to look at Human Resources jobs since most of my work experience is in that field. But I think I’ll also look at not for profit jobs (started out in that sector) as well. My main goal is to just remain positive throughout this whole time. I need to ensure I stay focus and commited to my job right now and that I don’t slack in anyway. I also need to stay focused and commited to acheiving my healthy self – no stress eating, no vegging out insteadof working out. I will be canceling the duathlon (haven’t registered yet) b/c I promised myself that I would only do it if I was employed this summer! But that is fine – I can always do a mock one myself! I’ll still be training for it b/c if a job happens then baby I’m doing it! And you never know – the final word about my contract hasn’t happened yet. I’m still hopeful it gets extended until the end of September to give me more time to secure the RIGHT job.
good luck!
ReplyDelete