Monday, December 21, 2009

A different kind of weighing

You never know where life is going to lead you. A lot has been happening in my neck of the woods lately – which has lead to a lack of posts here!

The most exciting news here is all the job news. Wednesday the 9th I got the job offer from the company I interviewing with. I asked for more money and a full 3 weeks of vacation. On Thursday I found out that I got what I wanted. You would think I would be happy, I thought I would be happy. But I wasn’t, I cried for most of the night. Something really just didn’t feel right about the whole thing. On Friday I spent the majority of the day trying not to cry. Then at 4pm my current boss called me in to her office. She said that a whole bunch of projects just got signed off which would have a massive impact on recruitment for the next 6 months and that they would be able to extend me. It was approved yet but she wanted to give me the weekend to think about it b/c she knows it wasn’t going to be an easy decision.

In some ways it actually was an easy decision – I knew that I wanted to stay. But in so many others it was a tough decision. The hubby wanted me to take the perm job – he likes stability and we are anxious to start a family. Here are the things that were going through my head:

Future Job

Pros – permanent, lots of growth (mgt within 1-2 years), good pay, can start having a family
Cons – commute, long hours (regular working hours is 10 hours/day (8-6pm) but chances are even longer hours), not really interested in growth that fast – I want to be a manager but after I have a family, it was an outsourced job which goes against what I believe in, a really bad gut feeling.

Current Job

Pros – 5 min commute (or 25 min walk), 9-5 job (need to work more when needed but generally), love the job, love the people, love my boss, love working in a medium size company – big not to have a lasting impact but small enough to see that impact, if I get perm the growth is more along the lines of my time line, decent pay (offered a raise), good perks, bringing most services back in house, a great gut feeling that it is the right move
Cons – contract, have to put having a family on hold again

So I decided to stay put. I have a feeling that in the short term this was a decision against the family but in the long term that this is right move for our family. I’m just so happy to be staying. The hubby is really glad that I’m happy and I’m really glad for his support. This was the first major decision that we didn’t agree on and I’m really proud of us and feel it is a testament of our strong relationship that it wasn’t a fight or anything. We discussed it, he made his case and at the end of day he knew it was my choice and he would respect it. Plus, it means his quality of life stays the same (lunches, breakfasts and most dinners made for him!).

In other news – it has been tough not having a car I tell you! Christmas shopping (especially since we had a lot of large items to purchase) has been tough. Last Saturday we borrowed my mother’s car and spent 8 hours shopping. Got almost all of it done. This Sunday we made use of local transit to get to a mall to do some more. We now only have a few things to buy and that will be it! And our car should be here this week or early next week!!! I’m so excited to have a car – the walk has been really cold!

Only a few days left until Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Youre definitely right in going with your heart. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete