Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside

So last night was my first winter run (my first run in about 2 weeks). On the walk home I started to try and talk myself out of the run. Have you ever done that? I always have this internal battle going on, especially with running in the winter. Well last night I wasn’t having it:

Bad Side: “It’s too dark to run”
Good side: “it will be about 6pm when you run, it is dark but it is safe”
Bad Side: “but then you’ll have to run the long stretch of road out and back instead of the trail”
Good side: “it is only 2km total of the entire run, who cares”
Bad Side: “but it is so cold”
Good side: “you are walking in it and you are fine”
Bad Side: “no actually I’m quite cold, especially my finger tips”
Good Side: “but you have the proper running wear so you know you’ll be warm”
Bad Side: “but what if I’m not and I get cold on the run, I should just stay home to avoid that”
Good Side: “so you’ll get cold, you will come home to a warm house”
Bad Side: “but you need to call the Ford dealership about the car”
Good Side: “you can do it before you go out! Just suck it up already!”

This lasted my 20 minute walk home. As soon as I got in the house I immediately put on my running clothes. Called the Ford dealership and the left before my bad side even realized it! And you know what it was an awesome run! I realized that this time of year is a great time of year to run – it is brisk outside, not too cold and everyone has their Christmas lights out! And I felt great. In a lot of ways it was like a fartlek run, some songs got me so pumped so I just ran faster, while others allowed me that little bit of recovery I needed! A big part of my success was definitely what I wore:

I had a long sleeve technical shirt overtop of my bra (duh) with technical pants and wicking socks.
Then I put on my bright green windbreaker. I didn’t bring gloves which I did regret (have some wicking gloves).
I put on my big old school head phones to act as ear muffs and listened to music while I ran (not too loud and still very conscious of the roads and such).

Not too many layers yet – it was only 1 Celsius out there so not super cold but definitely as it gets colder I will need more layers. In fact I found this one article with an attached spreadsheet – for all winter runners this seems like gold! He outlines what he wears for every 2 degree (F) change in temperature. And goes over all you need for winter running. It is pretty amazing. One thing that I’ve been actively trying to do is make sure that when I walk out the door that I’m still cold, otherwise I heat up too much! It worked last night!

Once I got home I did the 30 day Shred Level 1. Then I made a chickpea curry and settled in to How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Overall a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment